Monday 14 April 2014

Studio Brief 2 - Spreads 6, 7 and 8

The first thing I did today was change the images
on spread 6 so the font examples weren't annotated
as I felt that the annotations were a bit messy and
somewhat cluttered the page. I think the spread looks
a lot better without them. I also added a title, which I'll
go into more detail about later.


I then started working on spread 7. I had previously
decided that RGB and CMYK should share a spread
with Chromatic Value and Pantone because they're
all fundamentally about colour. I distinctly separated
the two by the arrangement of the text. The RGB and
CMKY page has text in two columns, which is meant
to show opposition between the two, because you can
only use one mode at a time. Chromatic Value and
Pantone don't work like this however, so I placed the
text on that page in a singular column which shows how
  they work together in comparison to RGB and CMYK.


I'd also decided that Alignment, Rivers and Hyphenation
would be on the same spread as Hierarchy of Type, as
both topics are about type and how to make the most of it.
I used various different types of alignment to highlight the
points made in the text about alignment, and this also
allowed me to use hyphenation in the text about hyphenation.
Unfortunately there wasn't much scope for me to actually
use a typographic hierarchy in the Hierarchy of Type page
because of how the rest of my spreads had already had
a hierarchy built into them, which is why it was important
that the images clearly demonstrated the concept of hierarchy
of type, which is why I picked the images I did. They are placed
where they are to create a sub-section for colour, as colour
is a part of typographical hierarchy, but isn't the first thing that
springs to mind when you think about it. 



When I choosing how to do my titles, I created a document
the width of the grid space that my title was going to fill, and
one by one typed in all the titles of the pages in order to find
the longest one (Alignment, Rivers, and Hyphenation). I then
changed the document size so that it was the same height
and width of the grid space so I could re-size the text to be as
big as possible so that the title fitted on two lines. I then rounded
this down to the nearest conventionally used point size, which
was 48pt. I used this point size for the titles, and chose to stick
to Helvetica regular as that was the font I'd used for the rest of
my hierarchy and I felt it'd been successful to this point. I also
made sure that every title took up two lines and that the first line
was longer than the second line to show consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment