Monday 7 April 2014

Studio Brief 2 - Spreads 2, 5 and 6

After re-visiting spread 2, I decided to use the
3 column layout on the basis that I wanted to
keep to the idea of 3's. One thing I will change
though is the order of the bars in the bottom
right to but the tone one at the top and the tint
one on the bottom to match the colour circles.


 Spread 5 is on readability and legibility. For
this I used the 2 column grid because that
allows for room to play with kerning to reduce
the prominence of rivers within the paragraphs,
as this aids readability. I also tried to position
the images to make it clear which text they
were appropriate to, which I think has worked.


Retrospectively I changed the position of one
of the images as I feel like initially the large
horizontal whitespace at the bottom of the left
page made it look like something was missing.
The new position however fills out the grid more
completely as well as getting rid of the feeling
that something's missing.


Spread 6 is about italics. I had a quote that I
wanted to use so I used a 3 column layout for
the left page where I was going to use the quote,
but a 2 column grid for everything else on the
page to make it consistent with spread 4. I also
angled the justification of the text one the right 
page to be angled at 4 degrees on the left side
and 14 degrees on the right to reflect the text.


I made some slight alterations to the right page.
Initially I thought the images were a bit ugly in
how they didn't align in any way. I also feel that
the text on Obliques looks cut off by the images.
To combat this I moved the text over to the right
and aligned the images to the left. That  also
meant that all the rows in the grid end with some
sort of slant, which is appropriate for the italics
page. I also changed the red to blue to make both
sides of the spread consistent with each other, 
although I might remove the coloured annotations
altogether as I'm not sure how clear they are at
the printed size.



No comments:

Post a Comment