Thursday 24 April 2014

Design Improvements/Changes - Speaking From Experience

Areas to Improve 



Looking back on what I produced yesterday, as well as looking at the areas highlighted in the feedback from my coursemates, I also noticed two other things I could/should change today, highlighted in the red circles. 

The first thing is that it looked like I was only comparing food that was priced the same, whilst this is true in this case, it isn't always going to be the case, and buy putting the price in the sub-heading it over-emphasizes price, when what I'm looking at is general value. I'm going to change this simply by including the price in the body text rather than the sub-heading.

The second was that whilst, a 1 star rating is really bad, I still had the star in green, a colour which has positive connotations. I'm going to change this by having each potential stat be a different colour. The left star will be red, the right will be green, and the three in between will make a gradient so that the better food automatically has positive connotations compared to the worse food.

The below shot shows the result of the changes I made to the sausages page.



Following some of the feedback I received, I experimented with different fonts under the good and bad sections, but I wasn't happy with the results. I started by looking at typefaces that had both serif and sans-serif versions of them, and picked, in my opinion, the most readable and legible of them, ITC Stones. I did this because by using the same typeface it doesn't un-necessarily over-complicate the hierarchy. I used the sans serif for the text about the "good" food and the serif for the bad food, as this makes the bad food stand out from the rest of the hierarchy more, and in doing so it isolates it a bit, which has negative connotations. I also experimented with using Futura, and alternate sans serif typeface alongside Helvetica to try and achieve the same negative connotations, but I didn't feel like they looked nice next to each other, and the Futura looked out of place. Although it's a good concept to use, compared to sticking with just one font, mixing the fonts didn't look very nice aesthetically, and so I've decided to just stick with Helvetica throughout the booklet.



After completing all the individual pages, I then worked on the front and back covers, which are shown below. I stuck to the same layout for consistency, but went with more text-based content to be more informative. I'm aware that the back page reads as "The real students guide to top tips", which clearly doesn't make sense, but in the context of the booklet, as this is the last page this doesn't really matter as the top line is really only needed as an introduction to the booklet.



No comments:

Post a Comment