Tuesday 22 April 2014

Speaking From Experience - Interim Crit / Project Proposal

Drinking
Being away from home and having your own place to live obviously leads to a massive change in lifestyle. Living with people with your own age tends to lead to lots of extra going out and drinking and doing stupid stuff. Doing something about this is something that I could speak from experience about, but it’s not really going to help anyone because they’re still going to go out and do stupid stuff.

Eating
I was told that uni is where people learn to cook and survive on their own. In my experience I’ve not improved at all due to not needing to bother, as toast, oven food, bacon and pancakes are in fact food, and so I have not and will not starve. My flatmates do make a lot more effort than me with food, and I don’t understand why, as I would suggest it’s just a waste of time and money.

Extra Work
There’s a massive change in the amount of work between higher education and further education, and dealing with that takes time to adjust to, but by the time I realised and dealt with this I was over half way through the second term, and it was already too late to get the most out of the first year. I feel like this would potentially help people, but I can’t see any way that I would enjoy doing a project on this. Even if I did, it’s not the sort of thing that first years are interested in listening too.

Eating
Based on my experience of cooking at uni, I created a survey to ask if other people felt the same way as me so I could identify my target audience, if it even existed. I’m targeting people who answered either No or Not Bothered to the third question, and Price or Easy to the fourth. They’re highlighted below. Before refers to how good they thought they were at cooking out of 10 before uni, and now refers to how good they think they are out of 10 now.



Target Audience Analysis
10 out of the 22 students (45%) who answered my questions are my audience. 

56% of male students who answered my questions are my audience.

33% of female students who answered my questions are my audience.

The 10 students who answered my questions thought their cooking had improved buy 1.2 out of 10 on average since they’d started university, whereas those who aren’t my target audience reckoned they’d improved by an average of 2.6/10.

Only 25% of students who answered my questions and aren’t my target audience wish they’d been more experimental with food and feel quality is the most important thing when buying food, which means that 75% people that aren’t my target audience might still be interested in what I produce.

Brief
I want to create a short guide to oven food, as that is what optimises cheap and easy to cook student food. I want to make it with a slightly sarcastic tone because it goes hand in hand with the fact that the people who’ll be making use of of the guide don’t really have any intentions of doing any other sort of food, so they may as well make this food sound like it’s from M&S.

What It Will Include
  • Which supermarkets are the best to go to.
  • Which individual brands are best to get.
  • What’s the best way to cook everything.
  • How to pad things out to make a fulfilling meal.
  • General financial advice about food.


What I Hope To Achieve
  • Create something that is genuinely informative and somewhat useful to people who intend not to put a serious effort into cooking.
  • Create something that is obviously in a somewhat sarcastic voice which will appeal to the sort of audience.
  • Have a laugh doing it.


What To Research
  • Price comparisons between supermarkets
  • Comparison websites (hotels, insurance, etc)
  • Food packaging and advertising design
  • Student guides
  • Cook books

No comments:

Post a Comment